RE: Wire Wheels and luggage Rack

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Wire Wheels and luggage Rack
From: pwiegman@ix.netcom.com (Paul Wiegman)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 09:37:23 -0700
Allan McClure asked about wire wheel hubs.

I would be careful with used hubs on new wire wheels.  Check the used
hubs, and if the splines are sharp at the top, not squared off
slightly, the are worn and will allow movement during accel and
braking.  This will cause premature wear of the new wire wheels.

Chromes are great but $$$$$$$$$$.  Stainless steel ok but not as bright
as chrome, but the regular silver painted wires look really good if
they are kept in good condition.

Be very careful where you have the tires mounted.  Most local shops
don't have the proper equipment and can badly chip the rims.  Try one
of the "National Outlets" since they usually have better, and the right
kind of equipment.  I used Tire America here in Pittsburgh.

Keep a close eye on the tightness of the spokes.  When they are new,
plunk them and listen to the sound.  You should be able to plunk all
the way around and get the same note.  If not the spokes are loose and
should be tightened rightway.  Often a good motorcycle shop can work on
wires and get them back in shape.  If not, British Wire Wheel in Santa
Cruz, CA does a great job.

Paul g. Wiegman
Pittsburgh, PA
TR3 - TS14551L