Re: paint prep?

To: KVacek@aol.com
Subject: Re: paint prep?
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 96 20:58:33 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>> First, I would recommend that unless you absolutely have no alternative,
>>don't use spray cans. The paint looks good but as it cures, it shrinks
>>somewhat and shows even the tiniest tool mark underneath. It also gets
>>very brittle and unless you pay attention to it all the time, it will
>>chip and flake.
>
>Tony-
>
>I'm surprised that you're saying this.  A month ago, it sounded like you were
>touting this method, and saying, in essence, that spray cans were the way to
>go.  In fact, I kinda got the impression that you were refuting my
>(admittedly pretty long) dissertation on "proper" paints vs spray cans.  I'll
>bet that a number of those guys out there have been convinced as well, and
>are now buyiing out all the K-Mart stores on your recommendation...    ;-)
>
>-Karl

Karl,
 Okay, I've been duely slapped upon the wrist.
 First, I touted the K-Mart spray can method as a last resort, since I
was sans compressor at the time.
 My spray can paint jobs have been on for over 3 years on the GT6 and
just over 2 years on the TR4.
 It took a lot of work, and luck to get them to come out like they did.
 I am not a bit ashamed of the paint jobs. I do take a lot of kidding
about them. As a matter of fact, I willkeep entering at least the GT6 in
shows and events right along with "the Big Boys" and their fancy paint jobs.
 It takes a lot of work to keep my paint kob looking nice, and I have put
on almost a much paint in just touch-ups as it took to cover the whole car.
 Most people are not as lucky as I am when it comes to having time to
continually care for a car. Therefore, I can't recommend spary cans for a
high quality durable finish.
 Everyone, please understand, (sorry to use your line Karl) it just ain't
worth the work.
 I'm going to redo both cars as soon as I get some of my other projects
finished. This time, they are going to be done right. I've even got three
spray guns so I can have lots of fun.
 Thanks for the use of your line Karl.
 Remember, don't drive faster than your angels can fly.
Best Regards,
Tony
"Spray Cans Have Bit the Dust"
###