Re: Spitfire: Need Help Re-installing Trans

To: lesf@metronet.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire: Need Help Re-installing Trans
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 96 21:24:43 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>OK, I'm about to choose between: a) A REALLY, REALLY BIG HAMMER, b) a flat
>tow to the local British car auto repair shop, and c) guidance from you!
>
>I removed the transmission to replace the clutch and rebuild the slave
>cylinder.  Mission accomplished.  I am now suffering from the "replacement
>is a straightforward reversal of the above".  Namely, I cannot get the
>g*****n transmission back in place.
>
>I DID align the clutch with my swell alignment tool - and it LOOKED
>centered, too. I tried using a leftover leaf from an old rear suspension as
>a lever to hold the trans in place while guiding it forward.  I used a floor
>jack to try to raise the back of the engine slightly.  All to no avail.  I
>can get it within about an inch, but no further.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas?
>
>Les Francis
>'78 Spitfire

Les,
 You are obviously having at least one of two problems.
 The clutch disc is not quite just right or, if you replaced the pilot
bushing (bearing) it's the wrong size.
 If the clutch is properly aligned, the easiest way to "het it in" is to
raise the back of the engine, to a height which looks like too much.
 The input shaft of the tranny has to be in horizontal alignment with
the hole in the pilot bushing.
 Best suggestion, raise the rear of the engine more and stab it again.
Good luck.
Regards,
Tony R.
"GT6s"