Re: RAAANKKKKK! Sound when engine running - TR4

To: sharpc@bncc1.incirlik.af.mil
Subject: Re: RAAANKKKKK! Sound when engine running - TR4
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 01:25:54 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Christian Simonsen wrote:
>
>> Haven't touched the generator. I'm going to rebuild it even if its not
>> making the noise as I drive it on long trips quite often and that would be
>> one less thing on my mind.
>>
>> Does anyone have a cross reference for the bearings so I might buy them
>locally?
>>
>When rebuilding my generator last summer, I found that taking it to an
>alternator/starter rewind shop was the best bet.  They had the bearing in
>stock (same generator as used on several Ford tractor models) but more
>importantly, they had the press to remove the old bearing and install the
>new one.  My armature and coils were OK so the whole repair cost about
>$15 (Bearing was about $5 plus labor).  Good luck!
>
>Chris Sharp
>'64 Spitfire4 Mk I
>'96 Cannondale (Daily Driver)

Christian and Chris,
 Have to agree with Chris on this one.
 Tolerances are not that close on generators. The front bearing is
usually rivetted in, but again not a big problem.
 The rear bushing is bronze and can be removed quite easily by starting
the threads of a tap into it and then tapping the rear housing around the
bushing until the bushing seperates and can be removed.
 The biggest problem is that unless you have the test equipment available
you have no way of determining what the resistance readings are on the
armature and field coils. Also, in most instances, the commutator end
(the copper surfaces where the brushes run) should be turned.
 I bought a Mustang rebuilt generator for my TR4 from TRF and within 30
days took it to a shop for rebuild. I could have done it but too many
projects. Besides, it was worth the $35 to get a warranty on it.
Best Regards Guys,
Tony
###