Re: Spitfire Body Question and Intoduction

To: gt6nut@gnn.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire Body Question and Intoduction
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 01:16:19 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>>I have a body question on my Spit. After putting in new rockers, floors,
>>dog-legs, rear patch panels and miles of weld, I'm finding I have about a
>> 1"
>>gap between the Hood and Doors. Is this normal for a Spit? I saw another
>> Spit
>>on the road that seem to have a large gap there, so i'm wondering if thats
>>ok. My hood is as far back on it's hinges as possible. I didn't notice
>> before
>>I started the work if this gap was already there. The hood also lines up
>>perfect with the windshield cowl, so the hood can move back anymore. Also
>> the
>>doors line up perfect with the rear quarters...Hmmmm ?? I can't fiqure this
>>one out.
>>
>>If you own a Spit, can you tell me what your measurement between the door
>> and
>>hood is? Thanks...
>>
>>John
>>

>I had the same thing happen with my GT6 so like you I'm hoping that it is
>normal. Hopefully it is,and isnt just lousy aftermarket sheetmetal!
>I suppose a guy could use some plastic and make the gap smaller,but i would
>really hate to do that.

John and Dan

I've got 4 GT6s and can't really visualize what you are talking about.
 Are you referring to the bottom edge of the hood that should be paralell
to the forward most rocker sill panel or the back edge which is paralell
to the door?
 From what I can gather, it is the rear edge that is paralell to the door
edge.
 All of my GT6s are Mk I (66,67,68) except for the 69. All of them have TWO
set of mounting holes for the hood on the front hinge brackets. Use the
lower holes and adjust the alignment pins on the inside rear corners of
the hood.
 This should bring the back of the hood (or as purists call it, the bonnet)
down and back.
 It's hard for me to imagine what would cause your problem, I have have
never experienced anything similiar.
 It may be necessary to remove the alignment pins (the rubber cones) and
the front hinge bolts. Align thehood and see where the hinge holes are in
relation. If nothing else, this is soft metal and can be bent to some
degree. That may be what is going to be required.
 Let us all know what either of you come up with as a solution.
Best Regards,
Tony
###