Spitfire Air Filters

To: Triumph List Server <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire Air Filters
From: "Sharp Christopher L. Capt--Apr 97" <sharpc@bncc1.incirlik.af.mil>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 18:36:11 +0200 (EET)
Cc: "Sharp Christopher L. Capt--Apr 97" <sharpc@bncc1.incirlik.af.mil>, Kelly Sharp <ksquilt@the.express-news.net>
Fellow Scions and LBC lovers of all sorts-
        I've been mulling over a small problem on my MK I Spit and decided to
seek out your wisdom for some sage advice.
        I picked up my spit about 2 years ago.  The engine made a terrible
knocking sound and I ended up rebuilding the engine due to big-end bearings
that had managed to become groundup and deposited in the oil pan in
little-bitty pieces (not a pretty site).  Anyway, the engine runs good
now, the carbs are so-so, close to balanced (needs throttle shafts
bushed) and she runs halfway decently.  Here's the problem.  The
aircleaners are some awful black painted aftermarket affairs that are
about 1-1/2 inches tall, 3-1/2 inches in diameter.  They are stopped up
so don't breath very good and I haven't been able to find replacements
that fit at all.  Not to mention they look like...- well, lets just say
they're awful and leave it at that.  The engine is actually from a Mk II
(Thanks, DPO; where ever you may be) with twin SUs and Mk I intake and
exhaust manafolds.  I'm planning to keep the SU's for now.
        All that to say:  Whats the best bet?  Hunt down the original
equipment air filter assembly?  Get aftermarket air cleaners?  If so,
what seems to work the best?  Moreover, what should I stay away from?
        Currently, this is just a driver.  Ok, Ok, Ok, right now except for
the engine, it's really in pieces over most of my garage but when I get
it back together, it will be a driver; I'm not planning to race or
autocross or even enter any concours de'elegance events.  And although not
super tight, I would like to avoid  spending a huge chunk of $$$.
        Sorry for the verbosity, the barley shakes were cheep at the club
tonight.  Thanks in advance.

Chris Sharp
64 Spitfire4 Mk I (Some day I'm gonna finish this project....no, really!)
85 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (Occasional dependable driver)
91 Ford Taurus (Dependable occasional driver)
96 Cannondale (Daily Rider)