Re: Spitfire Air Filters

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, sharpc@bncc1.incirlik.af.mil
Subject: Re: Spitfire Air Filters
From: kboetzer@Auspex.Com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 09:03:23 -0700
> Here's the problem.  The
> aircleaners are some awful black painted aftermarket affairs that are
> about 1-1/2 inches tall, 3-1/2 inches in diameter.  They are stopped up
> so don't breath very good and I haven't been able to find replacements
> that fit at all.  Not to mention they look like...- well, lets just say
> they're awful and leave it at that.  The engine is actually from a Mk II
> (Thanks, DPO; where ever you may be) with twin SUs and Mk I intake and
> exhaust manafolds.  I'm planning to keep the SU's for now.
>       All that to say:  Whats the best bet?  Hunt down the original
> equipment air filter assembly?  Get aftermarket air cleaners?  If so,
> what seems to work the best?  Moreover, what should I stay away from?
>       Currently, this is just a driver.  Ok, Ok, Ok, right now except for
> the engine, it's really in pieces over most of my garage but when I get
> it back together, it will be a driver; I'm not planning to race or
> autocross or even enter any concours de'elegance events.  And although not
> super tight, I would like to avoid  spending a huge chunk of $$$.
>       Sorry for the verbosity, the barley shakes were cheep at the club
> tonight.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Chris Sharp
> 64 Spitfire4 Mk I (Some day I'm gonna finish this project....no, really!)
> 85 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (Occasional dependable driver)
> 91 Ford Taurus (Dependable occasional driver)
> 96 Cannondale (Daily Rider)

Chris,

There's lots of aftermarket stuff that can be made to fit. Of course I bought
my K+Ns some time ago. In addition there's lots of Brit car wrecking yards.

Two in my area (San Jose, CA) that do mail order.

Triumphs Only  (408) 947-7766  San Jose

British Motorsports  (408) 370-7174  Campbell

No financial interest,...Blah Blah, Yata Yata.

Ken Boetzer