Re: Weber carbs, 5 spd tranny

To: prubrew@ix.netcom.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weber carbs, 5 spd tranny
From: TheHerrs@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 22:14:49 -0400
In a message dated 96-06-09 20:11:14 EDT, prubrew@ix.netcom.com (Chris and
Karen Prugh) writes:

>What is a good price for a 5 speed in the variable states of repair? Needs
>work? Rebuilt 50K ago? Fresh rebuild? What should I look for? where should I
>look?  What does a rebuild kit run? Where should I source that?  Why is
there
>air?....sorry got carried away

I am not the expert, but I am pretty sure that you will not be able to get a
5 speed for the Spitfire bell housing. What you need is the Overdrive unit
for your car. This will give you 6 speeds (with overdrive on 3rd and 4th).
This is an easily done modification, as you only need to find a used Spitfire
transmission w/overdrive and the proper drive shaft. The Overdrive switch is
on the shift lever (just like on my Stag) which is a great place for it.

On the exhaust, I had the same thing on my Spitfire w/ a header to boot.
Sounded great, unless you were on a 50+ mile trip on the highway. I also
replaced that awful single Stromberg 150 with a Weber downdraft 32/36 DGV and
the intake manifold. This solved my idle problems, easily added 10 HP and
made the car much more fun to drive. Highly recommended.

Dave Herr
73 Stag
65 TR4A