Re: New GT-6 in the household!

To: tomstory@slip.net
Subject: Re: New GT-6 in the household!
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 96 21:27:21 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Well to day I got a younger brother for the MkII Spitfire, a 1970 MkII GT6
>for the princely sum of 500 bucks...It runs, needs ALOT (has anyone ever
>bought one allready restored?) of work, but I like it...I'd like to get
>some input on some ideas for what I'm going to do with it...I think it
>might not be worth doing a full restoration on it, the body needs quite a
>bit of tidying, the interior needs to be completely redone, yada yada
>yada... Ideas...
 Congratulations.

>1.COnvert it to a GT6 convertible by puttin my Spits body on it...probably
>fairly easily done, and would still be registered as a GT6 for the Smog
>police.
 SACRELIGE

>2.Restore for use as a race/rally car.  This has been a long time dream, to
>get into racing, and it would be good to have a car that's not also a daily
>driver. Do the full mechanicals, basic interior, don't worry TOO much about
>the body...would make a nice change from all the 911's you see racing.

BLASPHAMY

>3.Restore it as a GT6. I mean, they're not making em anymore...It could be
>a powerful little coupe, and is quite a beautiful car done right.
 I've always believed the RIGHT WAY is the ONLY WAY

>So anyways, any ideas suggestions, threats of violence readily
>appreciated...Right now it's just cool having another LBC sitting in the
>garage, I'm starting to feel (just a tad) like some of the people on the
>list who have 10, 20 cars to sit and stare at :)    Thanks  Tom

Okay Tom, here we go.
 My thing happens to be GT6 MkI, as a matter of fact, 3 of 'em. One is
running, but that is not surprising.
 I have a 69 GT6+, MkII that has a lot of usable and useful parts that I
am itching to get rid of. I mean get rit of it as in give it away.
Interested????
 Just a few comments on enjoying the GT6 when is all as it shoyuld be.

 First, when it is a restored car, you will be the glowing recipient of many
comments of "nice car, great car, what year is it. Man, I had a friend
who had a friend etc. You get the idea.
 On a moto-x course or track, it becomes just another car that when
wiped out, is destined for the junkyard for some poor soul desperately
looking for that "ONE" useable part, to  hang his head and weep
.
 I personally like the appeal of the Michellotti (sp) design.
 There was a comment from a GT6 owner in the recent past, on this line,
who had rolled a GT6 over, sans seat bealts, only to have huis kneck and
skin saved by the durable hard top.
 Also, there are not a whole bunch of places to get those cold wintry drafts.
 On the other hand, during the Summer, they get hotter than dammit
because there is no floor ventilation. (Iremedied that)

 If you promise not to cut it up, you can have the entire 69 I have, for
parts. You pick it up and it's yours.
Best Regards,
Tony
###