Re: GT6/TR6 Headers

To: mah16@cornell.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6/TR6 Headers
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 23:57:00 -0400
Bill-
Thanks for the offer of the TR6 engine...
The break of point in engine numbers is cc75000. Before that number is the
non-recessed cylinder bore, the short crank extension and the "odd" port
spacing. After that number they put the recessed groove in the top of the
block in each cylinder, changed the port spacing etc etc.
What I am trying to do is hotrod a TR6 motor for my GT6. Since I need the
short crank and would like to avoid overboring a recessed block (not sure how
it would hold compression with the head gasket hanging out in mid-air where
it used to be supported by the block - the head gasket has a built in metal
oring to fit the recess), I would like to find a 70>early72 motor. I already
have a
late style head all set to go, but need the bottom end. It is hard for me to
believe that I can not find one around here, but I have even put it out on
the wrecking yard finders to no avail !

So again, thanks for the offer, but you have just given further credence to
my theorem that all of the early TR6's are still running
(they must be they're still using their engines) and that all late TR's went
to the east coast (mostly Florida it seems ) to die.

On the header. If you are gonna try a TR6 unit, watch out for the clearance
between the frame and the block. Some of the headers are 3 tubes wide in that
area and these will definetly not fit. Most
have the pipes laid out two wide in that area and some of those MIGHT fit.
Try it before you lay down the cash !

 The Car Curmudgeon
        Nick in Nor Cal