Re: GT6 and Bond stuff

To: dano@n-jcenter.com
Subject: Re: GT6 and Bond stuff
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 96 00:14:10 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>At 11:21 PM 6/10/96 MDT, you wrote:
>>
>>Dano,
>> I know little about the Bond. Not insulting your car one bit, but could
>>it have been the low end of the"totem pole" so to speak?
>>  The 3.8.9 is definitely  a ratio used in MkI GT6 o/d.
>> By going to 3.2.7./1, my road speed and econony improved by tons. Low
>>end performance suffered greatly. At one point, I was running 4.1.1.
>>Could get the hole shot on most motorcycles.
>> I guess my Wife has gotten her wish. No, I haven't grown up and settled
>>down. Well, maybe grown up, but one can be immature at any age. I think I
>>chose to sacrifice performance forroad speed because I only drive the car
>>to various events and shows, most of which are at least 100 miles away.
>> Check the number on the block. If it happens that the engine numbers
>>begin with CP/CR, CC or CF,then the block is TR250 or early TR6. Nick out
>>on the West Coast has looked for ages for one of these engines to do a
>>conversion on a GT6. Please let us know what the numbers are.
>>Best Regards,
>>Tony
>>###
>>
>  Hey Tony,
>
>      Not sure what end of the totem pole the Bond was on.  When the MkII
>Bond was introduced it incorporated the independent rear suspension and the
>uprated 104 bhp engine., following the GT6's lead.
>  The car was marketed as more of a true 4-seater luxury GT car.
>It was priced at several hundred dollars more than the GT6's of the day.
>Despite the fiberglass body the car weighed more than 200 pounds more.  It
>is my guess that the 3.89 rear end was a bit of a compromise, still wanting
>the good low-end pull to keep the auto magazine reporters interested.  The
>uneven quality control,  the price, and the take over by Reliant and other
>factors were the reasons for the Bonds demise.
>
>     The engine number is KC9735E, nobody that I have talked to seems to
>know just how they were allocated their engines by Triumph.  I am fairly
>certain that all MkII's had the KC-KD engines though.
>
>     Incidently, the engine number of the junkyard GT6 is KF528HE.  If you or
>anyone else needs any parts off it I will take a long look and let you know.

Dano,
 TheKC engine number is a genuine GT6 series.(MkI)
 There are more choices available if you want to consider a Spitfire rear
end. It is essentially a bolt in proposition.
 The main difference is that the pinion shaft for a GT6 is about 1/16
larger diameter than a Spit., and other than the pinon bearng and seal,
they are just about completely interchangable.
 Sounds like the Bond used the extra umph of the KC engine to move it along.
 Did it come with an automatic trans? The reason I ask is that I have
seen one other 4 dr lbc with an auto. I think it was a Hillman, but I
don't recall what series. It had what looked to be a TR3/4 engine and
fixed rear suspension.
 I found this car out in the desert in an abandoned junkyard. After I
thought about the automatic for a while, I decided I wanted it. When I
went back the whole yard had been cleaned out. Even the chain link fence
was gone.
 The Bond sounds interesting.
Best Regards,
Tony