Re: Spitfire camshaft question

To: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire camshaft question
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 08:17:49 -0400
On Jun 11,  2:10pm, Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626 wrote:
> Subject: Spitfire camshaft question
>
> My machine shop called to tell me my 1296cc Spitfire engine was
> completed (bores, head, cam bearings, rod bushings) but they said
> the camshaft I bought from TRF would NOT fit in the cam bearings, but
> the old one does. The journals on the new cam are abuot 1/8" larger than
> on the old cam, which is about the thickness of the bearings.
>
> I presume there were two types of camshaft, one for use with cam bearings
> and one for use without cam bearings. The problem is, none of the suppliers
> of camshafts differentiates.
>
> Anybody have experience on this? My old cam is not good enough to regrind,
> so I'm going to have to locate the appropriate camshaft.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry
> lesnyd@monsanto.com
>-- End of excerpt from Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626

Larry,

Yes, there are two types of camshafts. IMS, the break points are at the
1296 - 1493 engines. I know that the 1500 has no cam bearings, but ISTR
that the late '70 1300 that is currently in my Spit does have bearings.
Most of the catalogs have given a breakdown, but I will check my factory
manual and see if the break is given there.

Doug Mitchell