Spitfire camshaft question

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net"@tin
Subject: Spitfire camshaft question
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 14:10:43 -0500
My machine shop called to tell me my 1296cc Spitfire engine was
completed (bores, head, cam bearings, rod bushings) but they said
the camshaft I bought from TRF would NOT fit in the cam bearings, but
the old one does. The journals on the new cam are abuot 1/8" larger than
on the old cam, which is about the thickness of the bearings.

I presume there were two types of camshaft, one for use with cam bearings
and one for use without cam bearings. The problem is, none of the suppliers
of camshafts differentiates.

Anybody have experience on this? My old cam is not good enough to regrind,
so I'm going to have to locate the appropriate camshaft.

Thanks,

Larry
lesnyd@monsanto.com