Re: Spitfire camshaft question

To: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>, lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire camshaft question
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 10:22:59 -0400 "Re: Spitfire camshaft question" (Jun 12, 8:17am)
> Subject: Re: Spitfire camshaft question
> On Jun 11,  2:10pm, Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626 wrote:
> > Subject: Spitfire camshaft question
> >
> > My machine shop called to tell me my 1296cc Spitfire engine was
> > completed (bores, head, cam bearings, rod bushings) but they said
> > the camshaft I bought from TRF would NOT fit in the cam bearings, but
> > the old one does. The journals on the new cam are abuot 1/8" larger than
> > on the old cam, which is about the thickness of the bearings.
> >
> > I presume there were two types of camshaft, one for use with cam bearings
> > and one for use without cam bearings. The problem is, none of the suppliers
> > of camshafts differentiates.
> >
> > Anybody have experience on this? My old cam is not good enough to regrind,
> > so I'm going to have to locate the appropriate camshaft.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Larry
> > lesnyd@monsanto.com
> >-- End of excerpt from Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626
>

> Larry,
>
> Yes, there are two types of camshafts. IMS, the break points are at the
> 1296 - 1493 engines. I know that the 1500 has no cam bearings, but ISTR
> that the late '70 1300 that is currently in my Spit does have bearings.
> Most of the catalogs have given a breakdown, but I will check my factory
> manual and see if the break is given there.
>
> Doug Mitchell
>-- End of excerpt from Doug Mitchell

OK, my shop manual doesn't specify, so I just rang Ted Schumacher.
His quasi-authoritive answer is that through the end of '70, the
Spits used cam bearings, and the later engines (both 1300 and 1500)
did not.

You might want to check with Ted Schumacher at TSI Automotive in
Pandora, Ohio. His number (so that you don't have to go to the Monster
list) is: 800-543-6648 for orders and 419-384-3022 for help.

Doug Mitchell