Re: Rear Drum removal

To: tomstory@slip.net
Subject: Re: Rear Drum removal
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 96 02:14:36 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>I had to drill out the two screws holding the drums on my GT6, they just
>would not budge, and actually twisted up the bit on my impact driver pretty
>good...yet, the drum won't come off. It spins, I know it's not binding on
>the shoes, is there a puller I can rent to get em off? Any other
>techniques?
>
>I imagine I'm going to need at least one replacement drum, should I get
>new, or just get some good used ones and have em resurfaced?
>
>The brake system is the first place I start on a rebuild, I want to make
>sure it's done right, so if anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate
>it...Tom

Tom,
 This is quite common for GT6.
 The part that is binding is most likely just the center. It's a real
close fit. Sometimes, it's so close that when you go to re-install the
drum, it will hang up on the edge of the center hub and then give you a
"pop" when it does seat.
 About the only thing you can do is soak it well with a penetrating oil
and then use a LARGE gear puller, aka drum puiller to pull the drum.
 Before you re-install, use a little emery cloth and sand out the hole in
the center of the drum. Don't worry about taking too much out, alignment
is determined by axle studs. When you are ready to go back together with
it all, apply a bit of anti-seize lube to the center hole of the drum.
 I don't have minimum specs for a servicible drum off hand. But, if you
need to have the drums turned, a reputable shop will tell you if they
fall into spec, before they turn them.
 Or, you can eliminate all the questions and order a set of drums from
Dick Burger at BPC and save some $$$$.
 No, I don't work for BPC and I'm not related to Dick Burger. He's just a
good guy to do business with.
 One last note. You may need to rent a gear/drum puller.
Best Regards,
Tony
###