Re: Rear Drum removal

To: tomstory@slip.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Drum removal
From: KVacek@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 06:28:24 -0400

>I had to drill out the two screws holding the drums on my GT6, they just
>would not budge, and actually twisted up the bit on my impact driver pretty
>good...yet, the drum won't come off. It spins, I know it's not binding on
>the shoes, is there a puller I can rent to get em off? Any other
>techniques?
>
>I imagine I'm going to need at least one replacement drum, should I get
>new, or just get some good used ones and have em resurfaced?

I didn't bother to reply originally because I saw a couple of answers, and I
assumed that they'd cover it.  However, after reading the replies, I think a
couple of points were missed, and they may help you.

You say "it spins".  I assume you mean the whole drum and axle are spinning
as one unit, frozen together, in which case it most likely is the center
hole.  However, (my suspicions are aroused by the fact that you're certain
you'll need at least one drum) if the drum seems loose relative to the axle
but just won't come off, you may have grooved the shoes into the drun, and
they're holding the drum on the axle even though they allow the whole
assembly to rotate with teh shoes in the grooves.  In this case, just back
the adjusters way off.

If the drums are really binding on the center hole, even a puller may not get
them off without possibly breaking the drum.  Once the puller is in place and
you've put some pressure on the drum, and it still doesn't come off, take a
torch and heat drum -- particularly the flat face of the drum around the
hole.  The expansion should break it loose.  You'll probably be rewarded with
a loud "pop" when it comes loose.  If it doesn't come all the way off,
retighten the puller and try again.

Good luck!
-Karl