Re: GT6+ leaf springs

To: rgs03@health.state.ny.us
Subject: Re: GT6+ leaf springs
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 17:06:44 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Triumph owners list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, 14 Jun 1996 rgs03@health.state.ny.us wrote:

> *** Resending note of 06/14/96 06:15
> On 14 Jun 1996, pellemr@nbnet.nb.ca (pellemr)wrote:
>
> >Does the '70 GT6+ leaf spring share the same as the Spitfire?
> >-Mitch
>
> According to the original parts lists, yes. The difference was probably
> a bit heavier primary leaf due to the added weight over the rear wheels.
> (Any experts want to confirm - or tell me I'm full of, er, Castrol?)

Well, I hate to disagree with my best friend/partner in grime/
fellow HardlyBoy, but....

According to my original factory manuals, the springs are different. The
GT6+ spring is a 6-blade, 971 lb. load spring. The contemporary (non-swing-
spring) Spitfire spring is a 7-blade, 945 lb. load. The swing-springs for
the later Spitfires and the very late GT6 Mk.3 are now the same, although
they originally carried different part numbers.

The GT6+ spring is listed in John Kippings catalogue as being available.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *