Re: Triumph TR 6 Start-up P.S.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph TR 6 Start-up P.S.
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 17:12:21 -0400
One other thing I should include...leave the choke in while you're
cranking.  You don't want any gas at all, really and no spark.  You just
want to run the oil pump via the starter, and to avoid over-heating the
starter don't crank more that 15 seconds at a time.  That should be long
enough to generate good oil pressure anyway.

After the starter has cooled for a minute and you know you have good oil
pressure, then put the coil wire back, pull the choke, and turn the key
again and hopefully you'll happily roar back to life !!

P.P.S.  I have a neighbor who starts his car every morning and floors
the accelerator for a couple of seconds, making the poor engine run at
high RPM with next-to-no oil pressure.  This sounds to me like a sure
way to send an engine to an early date with the scrap-yard.

Any comments on this all-too-common practice ??