Smogging TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Smogging TR6
From: TJ Noto <tjn@rahul.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 10:11:28 -0700
Cc: british-cars@autox.team.net
So does anyone know of any tricks to get a TR6 through smog?  This is a 1970
year model car...so the only "smog" equipment on it is the charcoal cannister
and the crankcase breather.  All the hoses there are correct and free of
vacuum leaks as far as I can tell.

I tried to smog it yesterday and it was emitting 1400 PPM hydrocarbons....the
limit is 500!  I tried retarding the spark, to no avail.  The brass screws
(are they mixture screws?) on the sides of the carbs seemed to have no effect
on the emmisions....I took it home, changed the oil and filter (engine) and
adjusted the carbs, adjusted the timing back to 12 BTDC but have yet to return
to the shop....

Any black magic solutions anyone can suggest?  I really need to get this car
through smog...

Regards,
teej
--
TJ Noto         Palo Alto       CA      USA     http://www.rahul.net/tjn
Ducati          Triumph         MG      BMW     Lambretta