Re: Smogging TR6

To: TJ Noto <tjn@rahul.net>
Subject: Re: Smogging TR6
From: Thomas J Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 10:16:16 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
to reduce emissions,

Add about 10% alcohol to the gas.

Adjust the carbs full lean with the needle height screw that is most likely
in the middle of the air valve piston of your carb.  (don't go so far that
the engine starts to miss.  That will run up the HCs again)

change to Synthetic motor oil for the smog check.   That will lower HCs that
are the result of "Blow-by" and getting back into the engine via the PVC.

(the brass screw on the side of the carb is a very fine air bypass
adjustment, some effect but not much)

Tom Howard

At 10:11 AM 6/13/96 -0700, you wrote:
>So does anyone know of any tricks to get a TR6 through smog?  This is a 1970
>year model car...so the only "smog" equipment on it is the charcoal cannister
>and the crankcase breather.  All the hoses there are correct and free of
>vacuum leaks as far as I can tell.
>
>I tried to smog it yesterday and it was emitting 1400 PPM hydrocarbons....the
>limit is 500!  I tried retarding the spark, to no avail.  The brass screws
>(are they mixture screws?) on the sides of the carbs seemed to have no effect
>on the emmisions....I took it home, changed the oil and filter (engine) and
>adjusted the carbs, adjusted the timing back to 12 BTDC but have yet to return
>to the shop....
>
>Any black magic solutions anyone can suggest?  I really need to get this car
>through smog...
>
>Regards,
>teej
>--
>TJ Noto                Palo Alto       CA      USA     http://www.rahul.net/tjn
>Ducati         Triumph         MG      BMW     Lambretta
>"First I go fast...then I crash"-Tiger Sohwa

Tom Howard
'72 GT6
(and a good bit of USA iron)