Problems tunning dual SU HS2's on Spitfire

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Problems tunning dual SU HS2's on Spitfire
From: Dave Chu <dave@ECE.concordia.CA>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 02:10:41 -0400
I've finally got the dual SU HS2's into my 78 Spitfire after the
last of the back ordered parts (throttle shafts) arrived last Friday.
Everyone when well thanks to the advise of Charlie Brown
(CBrown1500@aol.com).

I've check and verified that the butterfly valve were in correctly.
After setting the float levels(1/8"), metering needles and jets I proceed
to tune the carbs following the instructions in the Haynes manual.
My problem is I cannot set the idle speed or mixture.  The engine runs
at around 2500rpm even with the throttle speed screw turned all the way
up.  Another problem is the mixture setting, the ColourTune shows rich
mixture for both carbs. even when I set both jets flush with the
carb's bridges.

One thing I did notice is the front carb's fuel level was higher
than the rear.  Infact there was gas dripping out of the front carb's
ventura.  Can this be the cause of all my problems?

I'm going to increase the front and lower the rear float level and see
if this will help.  Any useful suggestions, helpful ideas, hints or
even a prey would be welcome.  Please help me!!

Dave