Re: Problems tunning dual SU HS2's on Spitfire

To: Dave Chu <dave@ECE.concordia.CA>
Subject: Re: Problems tunning dual SU HS2's on Spitfire
From: "Sharp Christopher L. Capt--Apr 97" <sharpc@bncc1.incirlik.af.mil>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 08:55:59 +0200 (EET)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Dave Chu wrote:
-snip-
> After setting the float levels(1/8"), metering needles and jets I proceed
> to tune the carbs following the instructions in the Haynes manual.
> My problem is I cannot set the idle speed or mixture.  The engine runs
> at around 2500rpm even with the throttle speed screw turned all the way
> up.  Another problem is the mixture setting, the ColourTune shows rich
> mixture for both carbs. even when I set both jets flush with the
> carb's bridges.
>
> One thing I did notice is the front carb's fuel level was higher
> than the rear.  Infact there was gas dripping out of the front carb's
> ventura.  Can this be the cause of all my problems?
-snip-
Dave-
I had a similar problem with my spit when I first bought it.  Check the
floats as you suspect but also go back and look at the needle/jet
assembly.  If the needle is seated too far into the plunger, you can get
an extreamly rich setting, even with the jet flush to the bridge.

Chris Sharp
64 Spitfire4 MK I