RE: Austin Marina

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs)
Subject: RE: Austin Marina
From: Daren Allder <dallder@bicronne.tcom.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 14:26:00 +0100
Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that the Austin Marina is the car known
as the Morris Marina in the UK?

The Morris Marina, if you didn't know, was IMHO one of those
turn-of-the-70s hideous family cars that only Leyland could have
produced, like the Austin Allegro.  I think it's true (and I'm sure
you'll tell me otherwise) that some Marinas (the 1800s) shared the MGB
engine  Later of course the Marina had what little personality it
possessed cruelly removed by the Italian designer(s) who turned it into
the Morris Ital.  [Didn't they also turn the Princess into the Ambassador
around the same time?]
Oh yes, let us not forget that Italian car designers are quite capable of
producing ugly cars too.

      Ersatz LBCs:
 Inflate an Austin 1100 until it becomes an Allegro.
 Mate an Allegro with a hearse:  Allegro estate.

 Re: the Ferguson tractor idea,  I remember a TSSC magazine which showed
that Leyland tractors were built with
 Herald grilles (that finned extrusion used on 1360s).  Truth stranger
than fiction?

Daren Allder
66 Herald Convertible (beautiful)
91 Fiat Tempra (ugly)