Deep Thoughts/TR6 Running better

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Deep Thoughts/TR6 Running better
From: TJ Noto <tjn@rahul.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 14:32:13 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
First of all, thanks again to all who've responded with advice for me
regarding the smogging and carb tweaking on Kelley's TR6.  So many of
you responded I was quite literally overwhelmed by the volume, and could
not respond to each and every post....I do appreciate the information!

Status check:

Kelley and I drove "car" for the first time with some level of trust that
it would deliver us back home safely last night.  Kelley was beside herself
with joy.  This is the first time the car has really run well enough to
feel like it's a real car.  = )  During our drive she came up with a name
for it (till now it's merely been "car")....."Rattle and Hum", go figure
huh?!

I have managed to eliminate most of the vacuum leaks....a MAJOR amount
of air was getting in through the valve cover gasket.  With a new one
fitted, she runs MUCH better....less hunting at idle, and you can FEEL
that the engine is getting nice rich, moisture-laden charge in to the
combustion chambers.  The plugs look much better too....so I'm getting
closer.

I've gotten most all of the crap out of the gas tank, and the fuel
lines are new and she has a new filter...so that is looking better.

New ignition switch, helps a lot....you can turn it on and off like a
real car.

Need to rebuild Brake master cyl and clutch master cyl though...they're
not going to last long.

This car still needs lots of little things...typical of a car that has
been neglected for so long.....but I've owned cars that were MUCH worse.
This car is basically untampered with, and I've good reason to believe
that the 86000 miles indicated on the odometer is actual...there're no
way this car has gone 186,000....

And finally, as a fan and 6-year owner of those Octagonal badged cars,
I must say, the appeal of TR6's has hit me hard...I don't know if it's
the masculine appearance, the wooden dash, the excellent noises, or the
bottom-end torque of the things...but as silly as they are in some ways,
they delight in others.  They sure do rattle a lot though...I think I'll
go to my grave before every last rattle is gone.  In many ways it reminds
me of my Ducati, power-wise....Gobs of bottom-end torque and nice mid-range.
The way a motor should be....

Thanks again for the help,

Regards,
teej
--
TJ Noto         Palo Alto       CA      USA     http://www.rahul.net/tjn
Ducati          Triumph         MG      BMW     Lambretta