leaking TR-6 diff...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: leaking TR-6 diff...
From: "Steve Sutton" <ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 22:46:30 -0700
Comments: Authenticated sender is <ssutton@mail.ridgecrest.ca.us>
Posted-date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 22:40:22 -0700
I have just finished replacing my second 'leaking' diff pinon seal in
my TR-6.  The funny thing is that the car has not moved, since the
body is off it.  That's right, the bloody thing just leaks while
sitting there.  I have never had this much trouble with a oil seal in
my life.

However, upon replacing this one, I think I now where the leak is
coming from.  It's not coming from oil leaking between the seal and
input flange, but coming thru the splines on the input flange/pinion shaft!

There is no seal in this area (kind of hard to make a splined seal), nor is
there
 a copper crush washer, just a steel washer and the pinon nut.  How in the
world are you supposed to make this leak proof?  Apply gasket sealant
to the splines or....?  I diff is *not* overfilled, pinon nut is properly
torqued,
could this be caused by simply sitting for months and not being moved (i.e.
diff
not rotating)?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve Sutton