TR6 dry docked for a while

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 dry docked for a while
From: TJ Noto <tjn@rahul.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 10:27:08 -0700
Well Rattle and Hum won't be rattling or humming for a while.  After repeated
attempts to
find and eliminate the intake vacuum leak causing the lean running condition
I've taken
more drastic measures.  Last Friday I finished rebuilding the Brake Master
Cylinder and had
hoped some new gaskets I'd made to block off the "temperature compensators"
might help
seal things off a bit.  They are not rebuildable and cost about $65 a
piece....I've heard
varying reports on what they actually do and the criticality of their presence.

Flushed the cooling system......the stuff that was in there didn't look TOO
bad...but it
could have been better...

To make a long story longer, I don't really think it made much
difference...although the
car is running a little better....still hunts at idle....still too lean.

The intake/exhaust manifold gasket was pretty bad...so I took a big breath, got
a cold
beer and started taking things off.....

Carbs off, manifolds off....manifold gasket off.  Yup....looked pretty
cruddy....and some
of the bolts were not as tight as they might be....

Here's the plan then....

I ordered a bunch of parts from TRF...all supposedly in stock, and all on their
2-pac speed
delivery (or whatever).

New steering bushings, and bush kit for the steering column, which is flopping
around like
a fish in the column.

New water hoses everywhere....

Remove dash, strip brown stain DPO applied (I already tested the glovebox door
and it looks
great with some furniture stripper and a couple coats of Tung Oil and steel
wool) and
refinish dash.

Fix Steering wheel looseness...

Take the carbs apart again....check everything therein....

The motor mounts are TRASHED....replace them....

Install new manifold gasket and re-install exhaust and intake manifold...

Too make Kelley happy I ordered a set of the Furry black door seals, which will
hopefully
help alleviate the door rattle which is so nasty, and helps give the car its
name.

I'll report back when all parts are received and the work done....no telling
how long
that will actually be.

Cheers,
teej

PS-the Palo Alto Concours was devoid of LBC's I'm sad to say...there was a very
clean
Trailer Queen 74 TR6 (never titled, never driven) but that was it....the
featured
marque was Lamborghini....a bit too toney a crowd I guess.
--
TJ Noto         Palo Alto       CA      USA     http://www.rahul.net/tjn
Ducati          Triumph         MG      BMW     Lambretta