Re: como shipwrights disease?

To: shammy@inmind.com (Christian Simonsen), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: como shipwrights disease?
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 19:38:00 -0700
At  1:40 AM 6/25/96 +0000, Christian Simonsen wrote:
>I know Roy at the Woodwrights shop, but what's a shipwright got to do with
>LBC's?
>Christian Simonsen
>Virginia, USA
>shammy@inmind.com

Shipwright disease was first coined on the Main list when it was the only
list and still young.  I forgot who first used the name and defined it, but
it was in reference to a project I was doing on my TR3A.  I think this was
in '87 or '88.  In typical fashion, I was working on my car and kept
finding other things that needed doing and made sense to do while I had the
presently removed parts off.

The original official british car mail list description of shipwright's
disease was:

The owner of a yacht noticed a burnt out light bulb and decided to replace
the bulb.  When the bulb was out, he noticed that the socket was cracked.
So since the bulb was out, it made sense to go ahead and replace the
socket.  When he removed the socket, he saw that the insulation on the
wires was frayed. Since he had it exposed, it made sense to replace the
wires too.  When he pulled up the wires he noticed that the beam above the
wires had dry rot.  Soon the yacht was i drydock being completely rebuilt.

The functional equivalent is what happened to my TR3.

  So the term shipwright's disease came to be an official british car mail
list term like LBC (little British car or large British car), swork
(swearing while you work, do designate a project with its share of
problems), SOL (Scions of Lucas, a comprimise between Sons of Lucas and
Daughter of Lucas, DOLs), and a few others.

TeriAnn

twakeman@scruznet.com   <- NOTE NEW ADDRESS

Celebrating my tenth year on Usenet/Internet