Re: GT6/Spit hybrid (was Re: Rotary in a Spitfire)

To: jer@thlogic.com
Subject: Re: GT6/Spit hybrid (was Re: Rotary in a Spitfire)
From: ktheis@den.mmc.com (Karl Theis 1-2573)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 96 10:14:09 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jeremy,
You asked for info regarding building spit-6 hybrid: I have seen it done several
different ways.
First, a friend of mine built his spit 1500 into a spit 2000 by grafting in the
the drive train, bonnet and suspension bits from a GT6 MkIII.  He felt it was a
lot of work, but it is all pretty staightforward/bolt-together affair.
Second, I built a spit-6 by taking the trashed body off my '68 GT6 MkI and
dropping on the body of a Spit MKII I found in a junkyard.  This was also
fairlystraightforward, but did involve some creative thinking here and there on
my
part.
Third, I have seen (at a local Brit car meet) a Spit-6 and a GT4 parked side-by-
side.  This guy took two complete cars (spit 1500 and GT6 MKIII) and swapped
theappropriate parts.  The GT4 conversion he did not recommend as it was lacking
in the acceleration department, but he did say that it got good gas milage.

As an aside, a local individual built a GT8 by dropping a Rover-nee Buick V-8
into his GT6 MkIII.  The engine itself weighs less than the 6 cylinder Triumph
so no suspension mods were required.  He did have to fabricate a mechanical
means of clutch actuation and a custom exhaust system.  I don't know what
gearbox he used.
If you are seriously thinking of doing a conversion, my only advise would be to
use similar models - GT6 MKI w/ a LATE model Spit MKII (ask me about that one),
GT6MKII w/ a Spit MKIII or a GT6 MKIII w/ a Spit MKIV or 1500.
Karl Theis