Re: GT6/Spit hybrid (was Re: Rotary in a Spitfire)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6/Spit hybrid (was Re: Rotary in a Spitfire)
From: NGAARD@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 10:56:33 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, Jeremy DuBois wrote:

>   Does anybody have pointers to practical information on creating this
> spit-6 hybrid?

This 'hybrid' is actually referred to in different books as a Spit-Six -
the Spitfire that Triumph never built. From previous threads it DOES
sound like it is a LOT easier to just get a tub from a spit, and mount it
on the GT6. It must be easiest to do it on the GT6 Mk.1 and 2 (GT6+ here)
since the windshield is bolted on as on the Spit - which is
(unfortunately) not the case on the Mk.3.

If you want a to see a picture of such a conversion - check out the Guide
to Originality for Spitfire and GT6 (or something like that) - on the
last page there is a VERY pretty picture of a Spit with the nice GT6
bonnet 8-)

As for 'us' GT6 purists - converting is of course a sin - but certainly
one you will be able to live with :-) (my Mk.2 has a targa-top a la the
Porsche 914 - so I shouldn't be the one to shout the loudest about
cutting stuff - evn though it was the (D)PO who did it...)

Michael

1969 GT6 Mk.2 (targa - and for sale)
1971 GT6 Mk.3 (TR250 engine - and some other neat modifications...)