Re: Brake squeal on TR7

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake squeal on TR7
From: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 09:34:06

> I'm having a problem with the brakes on the TR7 that is making my fillings
> vibrate.  For some reason, I'm getting a high pitched squeal from the front
> brakes at just the lightest touch of the pedal.  It stops squealing if I press
> quite hard (but by then I'm launching towards the windshield).  It happens at
> any speed.
>
> I replaced the pads and milled the rotors, and still had the problem.  Then I
> replaced the rotors AND put on new pads, along with new anti-squeal shims
>(those
> little metal back plates that you are supposed to put behind the pads).
>Problem
> went away for a while, and has now come back with a vengance.
>
> Any suggestions?  The squeal is so loud that I don't even want to drive the
>car.
> My only thought at this point was to put some high-temp RTV/silicone between
>the
> pad and the shim to dampen the vibration.  Any brainstorms appreciated.
>
> David Rupert
> 75701.242@compuserve.com
> 1967 TR4A (rigid axle)
> 1980 TR7 convertible

Hi David,

I use Copperslip, a copper based anti-sieze grease.  This stuff is
actually marketed as a grease which prevents the problem you
describe. You put it between touching brake components, ie between
shim and pad, shim and brake cylinder. Obviously you keep it off the
pad face. It works a treat.

Good luck,

Jonathan

Spit. 1500