Brake squeal on TR7

To: Triumph Mail List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake squeal on TR7
From: David Rupert <75701.242@compuserve.com>
Date: 27 Jun 96 12:05:27 EDT
Hey all,

I'm having a problem with the brakes on the TR7 that is making my fillings
vibrate.  For some reason, I'm getting a high pitched squeal from the front
brakes at just the lightest touch of the pedal.  It stops squealing if I press
quite hard (but by then I'm launching towards the windshield).  It happens at
any speed.

I replaced the pads and milled the rotors, and still had the problem.  Then I
replaced the rotors AND put on new pads, along with new anti-squeal shims (those
little metal back plates that you are supposed to put behind the pads).  Problem
went away for a while, and has now come back with a vengance.

Any suggestions?  The squeal is so loud that I don't even want to drive the car.
My only thought at this point was to put some high-temp RTV/silicone between the
pad and the shim to dampen the vibration.  Any brainstorms appreciated.

David Rupert
75701.242@compuserve.com
1967 TR4A (rigid axle)
1980 TR7 convertible