This car is gonna kill me

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: This car is gonna kill me
From: TJ Noto <tjn@rahul.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 21:00:52 -0700
If it's the last thing it does.....

So ends my weeklong "drydocking" of Rattle and Hum.

I spent a lot of time and a lot of money to get her to the state she's in....
and sadly, the state she's in is still not optimal.

After taking the distributor apart to make sure everything there was cool...

After fitting a new manifold gasket...

After new hoses all around...

After taking the carbs apart and cleaning them again...

After installing new steering rack bushings and steering column bushings...

I installed a new vacuum line for the vacuum retard, along with a new elbow
connector at the carb.  I made sure the advance and retard diaphrams were
in good condition on the distributor.  They both seem ok....but despite the
fact that there is a good solid vacuum at the rear carb and at the end of the
line that connects to the distributor it still doesn't affect the idle when I
remove the line from the distributor (ie, the idle speed does not change)

She was still too lean.....so I I set the needles to full rich...

With them set flush to the airvalve the car hunts at idle....a classic symptom
of lean misfire.....

She still not running right....I'm still frustrated...

After bolting everything back together I was greeted with the immediate
realization
that the exhaust manifold is cracked....so I need to find a good used, or
reasonably
priced new exhaust manifold.....

At least the steering column is tight....

At least my team is winning right now (A's in Anaheim, ahead of the Halos 6 to
3)

At least I have an aromatic cigar to smoke...and some nice single malt to chase
it
with....

My hands are cut to hell....and very sore...I'll tackle it again when I have
the
gumption...probably tomorrow morning.  = )

Cheers,
teej

PS-for all the grief my MG caused me...it was never this bad.  I guess you
multiply
the grief factor by the number of cylinders?  = )

PPS-thanks for all the help on the fan belt replacement...I pulled the engine
mount bolts
and lifted the powerplant with a jack to install the belt.

--
TJ Noto         Palo Alto               CA      USA
http://www.rahul.net/tjn