TR6 horn question

To: all <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 horn question
From: John Bertsche <103136.3056@compuserve.com>
Date: 30 Jun 96 14:13:41 EDT
I had a problem with the horn on my TR6. Whenever I turned the wheel hard to one
side (like during parking maneuvers), the horn would blow briefly. If I pushed
hard on the upper rim of the steering wheel, same thing.

I took the steering wheel off and figured out that the back side of the wheel
hub was touching the "live" copper ring during these incidents. I was able to
shove the assembly holding the copper ring, turn, overdrive, and light switches
further onto the steering column, until it had fully engaged the little tab/hook
doodad on the bottom of the column. The upper edge of the tube wedged just under
the cutout in the wood dash panel, holding it there (sort of). This gave me more
clearance between the wheel hub and the ring, and solved the problem.

My problem is, I don't see any way to fasten the assembly in place (the Bentley
manual says something about "tape" but it's not clear. I'm not that surprised
Triumph would use tape, actually...) and I'm wondering if I'm missing something.
It seems like with use of the turn signals, lights, etc. (especially the
"get out of the fast lane" function) this assembly is quickly going to work its
way loose again. Any suggestions/similar experinces? thanks-

                                                jb