Re: TR3 and TR4 frame differences?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 and TR4 frame differences?
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 22:31:59 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 30 Jun 1996 DLMAssoc@aol.com wrote:

> I'm out of town and don't have any of my TR manuals with me right now ... can
> someone tell me what, if any, difference there is between the TR3 and early
> straight axle TR4 frames?  I know the track is wider and the 4 has rack and
> pinion, etc on the front, but is there any significant difference in the
> frame itself?  Other than the difference in track and the possibility of the
> tires interfering with the fenders, is there any reason a TR3 body tub
> wouldn't bolt up to the TR4 frame?

The basic chassis frames are identical in most respects.  The TR4 version
is essentially a TR3 frame with extra box sections welded to the outer
sides at the front.  The suspension mounts are welded to those extra
sections, thus widening the track.  The wider track is accomplished at the
rear by longer axle tubes.

I've seen a TR3 body on a TR4 frame, so I know it can be done.
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to talk to the owner so I don't know
what was involved in detail.  The tires did stick out beyond the fenders a
bit...

Do you already have a TR4 chassis?  If so, is it a rolling chassis (i.e.
does it include the front suspension and rear axle?  If not, you could
have a few problems mounting TR3 suspension parts on it.  Very early TR4s
(like mine) used suspension parts carried over from the TR3, but later
ones used different front suspension parts and still later the rear axle
mounting was modified.  TR3/early TR4 suspension parts can't be mounted on
a later TR4 chassis without a lot of modification to the mounting points.

IMHO, although the project is doable, it isn't worth the effort.  The
wider track gives very little (if any) improvement in handling.  The rack
and pinion steering is nice, but the Bishop Cam steering as implemented in
the TR3 is pretty good too (try an M.G. TA, TB, or TC if you want to
experience Bishop Cam steering at its worst).  Tires sticking out beyond
the fenders just don't look right (to me, anyway) on a TR3.

My tuppence worth...

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.