Re: TR3/4 Carbs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3/4 Carbs
From: Stuart Bollen <stuartb@voicenet.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 12:12:42 -0500 (EST)
At 11:14 AM 11/16/96 -0500, you wrote:

>>I am going to rebuild a set of carbs over the winter, and wonder
>>1) which is standard for that motor (SU or Zeniths)
>>2) which gives better performance (SU or Zeniths)
>>3) which is easier to maintain
>>4) which is easier to rebuild
>>

>Carl-
>1) SU
>2) SU
>3) SU
>4) SU
>
>Any Questions ?
>    Nick in Nor Cal
>
>Nick, while I agree that SU's are simpler and easier to maintain than
Stromberg's, nobody on this thread has mentioned the diabolical choke set up
on the SU's, which requires two hands to yank on, and doesn't work worth a
damn. I garage both my TR3 and my TR6. In the middle of winter I can fire up
the 6 at the first turn of the key. The 3 invariably requires priming, revving,
repeated choke yanking at stop signs etc.
THe TR3 also has the sports coil, blue streak points etc so its not an
ignition difference.
I rebuilt my ZS carbs five years ago, and the only time they are touched is
when I weaken them up for Delaware $%^*^$#^# smog checks.