RE: O2 Sensors

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: O2 Sensors
From: esc@firstnethou.com (esc)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 10:55:55 -0600
>To: Michael Noerregaard <ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu>
>From: esc@firstnethou.com (esc)
>Subject: RE: O2 Sensors
>
>>Eric,
>>
>>Could you give me some more info on the O2 sensor system that you have? You
>>said it was K&N - right? How does it work - and can you really adjust your
>>carbs from that?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Michael- about to endeavor triple stromberg setup...
>SNIP
>Lets see,I purchased it from Super Shops several years ago.  It is made by
K&N and it is available with or without the O2 sensor.
>If you get it with the O2 sensor it comes with a threaded piece designed to
be welded into your exhause pipe.  All you have to do is drill the right
sized hole (I didn't have a bit large enough so I drilled the biggest hole I
could and then enlarged it with my Dremel(sp?)), and weld it in.  The
fitting has a shoulder that makes it tolerant to an irregular shaped hole.

>The rectangular guage is 0.5" thick 1.5" wide and 2" tall (about) and has a
tiltable bracket attached that is designed to be attacht to the steering
column or to be screwed into the dash.  Mine is attached just above and
behind my turn signal (Camaro).  The guage has 3 wires, Positive 12V Ground
and O2 Sensor.  It uses a panel of 10 vertical,red, LED's lined up beside
each other.  The Air/Fuel ratio which each led represents is marked on the
face of the guage.  The first led(on the left) represents 17 to 1 and when
all the LEDs are lit the ratio would be 12 to1 or richer.  The guage seems
to be very accurate and the responce to changes in mixture is immediate.

>I use this guage to adjust every thing from the idle mixture to the
accelerator pumps and full throttle, not to mention the better mileage I get
now that I have the cruising mixture adjusted properly.

>There are some other guages on the market, I have not tried them.  But I
still think that the K&N guage is best because it gives a wider range of
reading than any other that I have seen and the others also had fewer leds.
Some only have 3, rich,good and lean.