oil coolers

To: cyf@bighorn.dr.lucent.com
Subject: oil coolers
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 00:53:21 1996
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On the TR6, you have to remember the cars ran very well
for many years as neither the cooler nor oil feed were stock
or recommended.

I imagine both are BIG money makers for the retailers.

In my humble opinion, both are a waste of money.  There are a
number of problems which can effect the delivery of oil to the
top end, not the least of which is bad rod/main bearings (last
60k miles according to Len R.).    You can replace these from the
bottom.  I've replaced the oil pump as well, but couldn't see much
difference.

Just the bearings themselves brought oil pressure at idle from 10->45.
Oil comsumption was halved, I suspect due to oil not spraying out of
the journals.  Make sure and use plasigauge on them to verify you don't
have a ground crankshaft.

So you can fix the symptom or fix the problem...

Roger

--
Roger G. Bolick, rgb@exact.com, (512) 794-9567, FAX 345-2879