Re: Tach Readings/spedo

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tach Readings/spedo
From: "Dan Harriman" <KC5GXL@pnx.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 23:53:43 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <KC5GXL@PNX.COM>
   I'm just a little confused here. If I understand this thread
correctly, it seems to me that if the wind is coming from the west,
one tach will be correct. However, if the wind changes to the
southeast, it won't work correctly. Think about what you scions are
saying. The tach measures ENGINE RPM, PERIOD!!!!!
 It doesn't matter what tranny is behind it. It doesn't matter what
the 3rd member's gear ratio is. It doesn't even need anything behind
the engine to work! ALL it measures is engine rpm. Now,
if you take a tach that was in a 4 cylinder vehicle and put it in a
vehicle with a 6 cylinder engine, the reading will be wrong. Or
visa-versa. It also doesn't matter if the tach is electric or
mechanical. One revolution is one revolution.
   Some tachs have an adjustment for switching from 4 cyl to 6 cyl to
8 cyl. Some do not.
   Hope that this sheds some light on the mysterious tach syndrome!
Happy motoring,
Dan