Spitfire Generator

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Generator
From: ctschmitz@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 96 07:59:01 PST8
Encoding: 31 Text
     I also had some problems with my '70 Spitfire's generator some years
     ago. I tested it in the following manner -

     I took the multimeter probes in one hand and jabbed them into my
     forearm. It hurt. I decided that this meant that the generator was the
     cause of all my pain and resolved to get rid of it.

     Went down to the local parts store and said "Dave, gimme a big
     generator." Dave said "Well, now, Tom, what kind of generator? For
     what kind of a car?" "Gee, Dave. I dunno. Gimme a generator for a cop
     car."

     What I wound up with was a 60 Amp Delco alternator, rebuilt, for about
     $50. I fabricated some brackets to mount it up and got the thing
     installed with no problem. Getting a regulator to work with it was a
     bit of a problem. I started with a normal Delco mechanical regulator
     and was not able to make it do it's thing very well. I solved that by
     going and getting a Brand-X solid state regulator (as I recall it was
     pretty cheap) and that worked right out of the box and has worked
     flawlessly ever since.

     This was not a difficult modification to the electrical system and I
     found adequate information in a book that dealt with automotive
     electrical systems. Your library probably has a handful of such books.

     The loss in originality to the car was, IMHO, more than made up for by
     the fact that I can now run real headlights, fog or driving lights,
     and have the heater going at the same time. Reliability is improved,
     as well.

     Tom