TR6 Ring Gear and Starter

To: dynamic@pbgi.com
Subject: TR6 Ring Gear and Starter
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 19:32:00 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sun, 15 Dec 1996 09:04:18 -0800 (PST) dynamic@pbgi.com (Pete & Aprille
Chadwell) writes:

>>I've got a problem with the starter on my TR-6  I think it's the ring
>>gear, >first is there an inspection plate to remove and secound to
>fix it
>>am I going >to have to pull the tranny or the motor and which one
>would be
>>the easiest?
>

>Chet:  There is no inspection plate.  What you need to do is remove
>the
>starter, and that will expose the ring gear so that you can check it
>out.
>Turn the motor over as you look at the ring gear, and try to spot any
>missing teeth.
>
>This reminds me of a funny story.  When I bought my TR6, the DPO,
>(with
>emphasis on the 'D') was having problems with the starter, or
>starters, as
>it were.  He was going through them at lightning speed.  Well, there
>were
>also clutch problems, so we had ended up removing the gearbox.  We
>found
>many humorous things inside, or maybe not so humorous, but among them
>was
>that apparently the DPO thought that the bevel on the starter side of
>the
>ring gear was a result of wear!!!  So, he removed the ring gear and
>turned

Okay, I've got a problem here.  I've currently got my tranny, clutch,
starter, etc. out.  I looked at the flywheel, which, as far as I know,
has never had the ring gear replaced.  To my surprise, the beveled side
of the ring gear faced away from the starter.  It has always worked
okay, but it made me a little nervous, so I got out the Bentley
manual and the picture shows the bevel facing away from the starter!
There does not seem to be any abnormal wear on my starter pinion or
flywheel.

Mark Anderton

1972 Triumph TR6 (daily driver)
1984 Jaguar XJ6 (2 ea - some people never learn)
1966 Morris Minor (everything a car should be)
1971 Land Rover
1967 Daimler V8 Saloon
1958 Velocette MSS (500cc single)