Re: Fly wheel removal???

To: CMaster808@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fly wheel removal???
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 19:55:07 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sun, 15 Dec 1996 16:46:04 -0500 CMaster808@aol.com writes:
>Ok tranny is on the floor,  Guess what, the ring gear looks like it
>has full
>life left to it,  but it had slide further away from the starter gear.
>
>While I pounded it back on and could most likely reinstall every thing
>I was
>woundering if any body could tell me how to get the flywheel off ,so
>that I
>could turn the ring gear around the way it was meant to be not the way
>the
>factory left it.
>
>If I try turning the bolts holding the flywheel on the motor turns and
>all I
>do is go round and round , short of sticking a screw driver down a
>plug hole
>and wedging the piston I can't come up with a way, just kidding on the
>screwdriver?
>
>Chet

Wow! This is rough.  The factory book says you have to destroy the ring
gear to remove it.  They want you to drill a hole in the ring gear and
use a cold chisel to break it.  If yours is falling off, I would bet that it is
broken or damaged in some way.

To hold the flywheel in place, put the blade of a large screwdriver between two
teeth on the ring gear and lever against a stud or some other protrusion on the
engine backing plate.

The last time I replaced a ring gear, I put the ring gear in the oven at
400 degrees and the flywheel in the freezer for about an hour. Using
leather gloves, I was able to drop the hot ring gear onto the cold
flywheel and just lightly tap things into place.  Again, if you can move
your ring gear around, something is wrong.

In an earlier post tonight I pointed out that my TR6 ring gear, which I
believe is original, has the bevel facing away from the starter.  Before
you reverse yours you may want to do some research.

Mark Anderton

1972 Triumph TR6 (daily driver)
1984 Jaguar XJ6 (2 ea - some people never learn)
1966 Morris Minor (everything a car should be)
1971 Land Rover
1967 Daimler V8 Saloon
1958 Velocette MSS (500cc single)