Re: Oil Filters / spin-on, 6 cyl.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Filters / spin-on, 6 cyl.
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 23:19:24 -0500
Hey Paul,  you wrote

 >As long as the topic is oil filter adapters, does anyone have a source
 >for the rubber o-ring that fits between the adaptor and the engine
 >block? The PO gave me a complete adaptor setup, but he had mangled the
 >oil ring and gave up trying to install it. I'd hate to have to buy a
 >whole new setup when all I need is a o-ring!

Yes, the spin-on adaptor makes the filter change easy, but be sure to
get the proper o-ring and install it properly.   This topic was batted
around a couple months ago, and the consensus was, IMS, that failure to
properly mount the adaptor to the block, with o-ring in proper place,
could lead to AT LEAST an unfiltered oil problem.  In my own case, there
was a problem sealing the surface between the adaptor casting itself and
the head of the bolt that holds it onto the block.  After repeated attempts
to stop the slow oil leak under that bolt head, I resigned myself to a
car that would be one to `mark its territory'.

The o-ring is the cheap-n-easy part.
Details upon request.

Tom Tweed
SW Ohio