Re: TR3A Wiring harness

To: Angelo Graham <a3graham@mc1adm.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: TR3A Wiring harness
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 10:31:25 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Angelo Graham wrote:

> Just looking at my 3A wiring and have decided the only way to sort out the
> mess is to get a new harness.  Several of the suppliers list braided or
> "lacquer" covered harness with a difference in price.  Anyone know what this
> is about?  Is one type recommended over the other?

It's mostly a matter of a: what was original to the car and b: how you
feel about keeping the car in "Concours" condition. TRs up to somewhere
around mid-TR3A production used the older-style braided and lacquered
wire in the harness, which in turn was wrapped with some sort of woven
cloth. The later cars used plastic-sheathed wires in a "plastic"
wire-wrap outer covering.

The braided, lacquered harnesses cost more. Given more modern
technology, however, they are probably just about as durable as the
plastic-coated wires of the later harnesses. This was not always the
case 30-40 years ago, and most original braided auto wiring you
encounter is likely to be rather cracked and brittle (not the wire, just
the insulation, which makes for some potential entertainment, smoke and
wallet pain, etc.)

Bottom line: unless you're really concerned about originality in a
judged, potential trophy situation, stay with the CORRECT VERSION FOR YOUR
CAR plastic-coated wiring harness. Just about all the early TR wiring
harness variants are available, so make sure it has the correct wires
and connectors (or lack of same) for your car.

> Also noted that some of the harnesses do not extend to do things like
> headlights & signal lights....

More or less true. Most all Lucas headlamp units and an awful lot of
their side lamp and tail lamp units came equipped with wiring that would
plug into the "main" harness of the car. That is certainly true on the
headlamps of a TR3A. IMS, however, the wiring harness connects directly
to the base connectors on the tail lamp, license plate lamp, etc.
Steering wheel control head wiring (horn, turn signals) also usually are
NOT part of the main wiring harness on the TR.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *