Re: TR-3 Tops

To: <raugusti@shepards.com> (Editorial Assistant), <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR-3 Tops
From: johnhaynes@som-uky.campus.mci.net (John Haynes)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 21:01:31 -0500 (EST)
At 03:48 PM 12/17/96 MST, Editorial Assistant wrote:
>Hello, I've been lurking on the list for quite a while now.  I have a '59 TR3
>that I hope to start restoring this winter (that's the same  thing that I said
>last winter too.)
>
>The thread on convertible tops brings up a few questions I have about my TR3
>top.  I bought my car from the original owner and she swears that the soft top
>it came with is the original one that came with the car.  However when I had
>to buy a new one a few years ago (from TRF) some notable differences were
>apparent.  First, my old top has "lift the dot" fasteners across the front of
>the  wind screen not the "Tenex" fasteners that came with the new one.  Both
>TRF and Moss said that "They all came with Tenex fasteners"  when I called to
>ask.  Second, on the inside of the front edge there is a 'furflex'  type of
>seal all the way across that functioned very nicely to keep any drafts out.
>The new top doesn't have one of these and the tech people I talked to had
>never heard of it.  So is it possible that some one, possibly the dealer,
>changed the snaps on my "original" top and added the seal?  Has anyone else
>seen these features on a TR3 top?
>
>Please copy me directly on any replys as I am on the digest because I get the
>list at work.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Scott Augustine
>raugusti@shepards.com
>Colorado Springs, CO
>
>'59 TR3   TS44054
>'53 Morris Minor Conv.
>'74 VW Thing
>'66 Amphicar
> etc. etc.

Hello Scott
   The original tops did indeed have a seal sewed into the front , it was a
round tube about 3\4 dia.. As to the lift a dot sanps, all models were
tenax, the TR2 being "Baby Tenax". Are the studs on your windsheild frame
Tenax or Lift a Dot?  HOWEVER it would not suprise me if your car was built
at the factory with this deviation. When these cars came down the line and
the workers ran out of parts the management would IMPROVISE.  My car came
new with cast aluminium windsheild post painted gray and gray painted pot
metal boot hinges. I had a arugment with a big city Triumph club president
at a show who told me I had painted over the chrome. So I am betting your
top is the original.

Sam Haynes 59 TR3 Original Owner