TR-3 Tops

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR-3 Tops
From: <raugusti@shepards.com> (Editorial Assistant)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 96 15:48:50 MST
Hello, I've been lurking on the list for quite a while now.  I have a '59 TR3
that I hope to start restoring this winter (that's the same  thing that I said
last winter too.)

The thread on convertible tops brings up a few questions I have about my TR3
top.  I bought my car from the original owner and she swears that the soft top
it came with is the original one that came with the car.  However when I had
to buy a new one a few years ago (from TRF) some notable differences were
apparent.  First, my old top has "lift the dot" fasteners across the front of
the  wind screen not the "Tenex" fasteners that came with the new one.  Both
TRF and Moss said that "They all came with Tenex fasteners"  when I called to
ask.  Second, on the inside of the front edge there is a 'furflex'  type of
seal all the way across that functioned very nicely to keep any drafts out.
The new top doesn't have one of these and the tech people I talked to had
never heard of it.  So is it possible that some one, possibly the dealer,
changed the snaps on my "original" top and added the seal?  Has anyone else
seen these features on a TR3 top?

Please copy me directly on any replys as I am on the digest because I get the
list at work.

Thanks,

Scott Augustine
raugusti@shepards.com