Re: TR 6 bonnet latch

To: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@pbgi.com>
Subject: Re: TR 6 bonnet latch
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 07:55:27 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Pete & Aprille Chadwell wrote:

> Ken wrote:

> >latch from Rimmer Bros. Quality is questionable at best,  plus the spring
> >assembly and base are silver cadmium plated while the safety catch is gold
> >cadmium plated. Makes a odd looking combination. Oh well, looks like anyone
> >without the original latch will be putting out $30 every couple of years.
>
> My question for the listers:
>
> Does anyone have a procedure they've used when installing a new latch
> assembly to adjust the catch, etc.?  I bought a new pin (the piece on the
> bonnet itself) a long time ago, (1989 or so) installed it, and never did
> get it to work right.  It broke soon thereafter (surprise, surprise!) and
> now, I'd like to replace it again, along with the latch mechanism that
> bolts to the firewall.  I'd like a latch that works!!  It seemed that I was
> never able to get it adjusted correctly.  Any ideas out there?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Pete Chadwell
>
> 1973 TR6

Pete:

Seems alot of the problems stem from the quality of the reproduction
parts on the market. Simple idea (not ment to offend anyone's
intelligence) is to contact the junk yard market and buy the original
off of a parts Triumph. Hemming's has a number of dealers listed who
specialize in Triumph parts cars.

Quick note on the Haynes vs Bentley discussion (since I seem to have
facilitated this thread). I agree that the Bentley is the superior
manual. I do find that all manuals have their strengths and weaknesses.
Therefore, I find it helpful to have more than one manual to make
reference to as a cross reference.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6