Re: TR 6 bonnet latch

To: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR 6 bonnet latch
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 96 09:41:08 EST
On Dec 20,  8:39am, Tom Tweed wrote:
> I'm no engineer, but it seems that only enough spring is needed here to
> push the bonnet up so you can get your fingers under it, no more.

I'm no engineer either, but this sure makes sense to me - can't
be right then I guess <grin>

> I don't know the best way to reduce the `push' on a spring - by torching,
> perhaps, or cutting off a few coils ??

Nope, that's backwards - cutting off a few coils will shorten the
spring, but make it stiffer.  You might just try going to the
local hardware store and trying a few different springs of a
similar diameter and length - but be careful not to get one that's
too soft.  If the spring isn't strong enough to lift the bonner,
then you're in real trouble...

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm