Re: TR 6 bonnet latch

To: triumphs@autox.TEAM.net
Subject: Re: TR 6 bonnet latch
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 08:30:34 -0500
Scott S. wrote :

 >Seems alot of the problems stem from the quality of the reproduction
 >parts on the market. Simple idea (not ment to offend anyone's
 >intelligence) is to contact the junk yard market and buy the original
 >off of a parts Triumph. Hemming's has a number of dealers listed who
 >specialize in Triumph parts cars.
 >
 >Quick note on the Haynes vs Bentley discussion (since I seem to have
 >facilitated this thread). I agree that the Bentley is the superior
 >manual. I do find that all manuals have their strengths and weaknesses.
 >Therefore, I find it helpful to have more than one manual to make
 >reference to as a cross reference.
 >
 >Scott Suhring
 >Elizabethtown, PA
 >'70 TR6

..and I'd like to `second' him on both points.

Regarding the latch mechanism, it seems to me that the spring used to
pop up the bonnet was WAY too strong, stressing the opening latch and
cable mechanism unneseccarily.

I'm no engineer, but it seems that only enough spring is needed here to
push the bonnet up so you can get your fingers under it, no more.
I don't know the best way to reduce the `push' on a spring - by torching,
perhaps, or cutting off a few coils ??  Any recommendations welcomed.

I've heard of TR-6 owners who broke latch cables, it sounds like a real
pain to try to open the bonnet to fix that problem, so it seems to me
the best cure would be prevention, in this case.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
Sw Ohio
'72 Trident (basket case)