Re: TR3a Smoke from Oil Filler (long but erudite):-)

To: Paulsv@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR3a Smoke from Oil Filler (long but erudite):-)
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 23:07:02 EST
Cc: wassallj@philly.infi.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sat, 21 Dec 1996 18:22:38 -0500 Paulsv@aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 96-12-21 17:50:55 EST, wassallj@philly.infi.net
>(Jay
>Wassall) writes:
>
><< previous owner said he thought it had a burnt valve.  Could that be
> causing all the smoke from the filler cap? >>

In my experience, positive pressure from the crankcase and accompanying
smoke are usually caused by blowby past worn or broken rings.  Any
chance the smoke you are seeing is actually water vapor from coolant
somehow getting into the oil?  Did cars of your vintage employ any kind
of PCV system like the "gulp valve" I had on a TR4?  If so, maybe that
is malfunctioning (plugged?) and not venting the crankcase as it should.

Mark Anderton