Re: TR3a Smoke from Oil Filler

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3a Smoke from Oil Filler
From: "Dan Harriman" <KC5GXL@pnx.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 22:10:25 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <KC5GXL@PNX.COM>
  Hi all;
   It would seem to me that if the valves were bad, there would be a
miss in the engine, and/or smoke from either the exhaust or intake,
(depending what valve). I would like to concur with the opinion of
how much smoke is a lot of smoke before saying something is wrong. It
is quite possible that it is normal blowby that is in all engines.
The later engines have a pcv valve to route the blowby back into the
intake to be reburned in the combustion chamber. Most of us today
take for granted the cleanliness of todays' engines. In bygone days,
a road tube took the vapors and routed them to the road while
driving, and after shut-down the gases would permeate the underhood
area. Maybe that is all that is happening here.
   Hope that helps a little.
Dan